Pet Health Certificates | USDA Vets in Shelburne Skip to Main Content Skip to Footer
Download Our App|(802) 985-5233

Pet Health Certificates 

USDA certified veterinarian on staff.

Pet health certificates are required for pets traveling both domestically within the United States and internationally. We’re happy to assist you with your pet’s health certificate, but the associated paperwork can take several weeks to process. 

Different countries have different travel criteria, so we’ll need to determine exactly what you'll need and what requirements you’ll have to meet in order for your pet to travel with you. 

Start planning at least two months in advance for domestic travel and four months in advance for international travel. If rabies titers are required, i.e. Hawaii, Australia, etc, it is likely that you may need more time for planning and testing. Please check requirements for both interstate and international travel at

What do I need to do to make travel plans for my pet?

If you’re traveling by car, you should carry your pet’s vaccine history, their most current rabies certificate, and a veterinarian issued pet health certificate that includes information about their most recent wellness exam.

If you’re planning to fly, research the specific airline you plan to use. Some airlines have their own requirements while others defer to those issued by the destination state or country.

Important questions to ask your airline might include:

  • What are your pet travel policies?
  • Do you offer fleet cargo space for large pets? Will this affect which flights I can book?
  • Are small pets allowed in the cabin area?
  • Do you have specific pet carrier requirements?
  • What are your pick up and drop off policies for pets?
  • How do you handle layovers when there are pets on board? 

Bear in mind that only USDA certified veterinarians are able to issue international health certificates.

How do I schedule an appointment for a health certificate?

We have a limited amount of appointments available with Dr. Koentizer for health certificates required for international travel. Therefore, kindly call at least a month ahead of time to schedule this type of appointment. 

Please note that prior to scheduling, you must submit your pet's health records for Dr. Koenitzer for review. After the doctor has reviewed the medical records then we will be able to schedule the appointments necessary for an official health certificate. 

Please call to schedule with flexible plans for departure. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate last minute appointments that need to be scheduled to meet departure dates. 

Interested in additional information? Check out this USDA resource.

Call us at (802) 985-5233 or request an appointment online for your pet's health certificate.

USDA Certified Veterinarian